Thursday, April 17, 2008

TIA

The air has a slight hint of smoke, for the past two days! They started a controlled burn of the grasslands in the delta yesterday, and of course, this being Argentina, it got OUT of control! So, there has been smoke in the air here since yesterday afternoon! We Americans have a saying that we use for situations like this, as well as many other ones....TIA (This Is Argentina). It pretty much explains any situation that happens to you here. Like for example, you are late to class one day by about ten minutes. So, rushing into the room, you quickly take your seat and get out your homework only to realize that the teacher isn't there yet either! TIA, TIA.

Another example: I take the bus (un colectivo) to class on Wednesdays when I go to my ceramics class, and it's always an experience. The bus drivers (los colectiveros) are some of the best and the worst drivers I have ever seen! So, I was got up before my stop to go ring the bell to signal that I wanted to get off, and the driver slams on the breaks because we hit a red light. I topple into the ladies in front of me with all of my ceramics gear, a little embarrassing, but it happens all the time so no one seemed to care. Then, the doors open and the bus is still moving at about 20 miles per hour. The bus driver slams on the brakes again and signals with his hand for me to get off...while the bus is still moving!! So, I fling myself out onto the street and almost fall onto the sidewalk. It must have been quite the sight. TIA, TIA. That is all that can be said of situations like this.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

haha! Hopefully you don't get killed in the next week!