Thursday, April 10, 2008

a little update...

Because I know you have all been wondering, we have meat again in the city! From what I understand, there are going to be 30 days of negotiations between the farmers and the Government. If an agreement is not reached by then, then they go on strike again. So, we here are all hoping for this to end. Vamos a ver!

Other than that, things are moving right along. School is getting more difficult as I am getting more and more huge packets of Spanish to read. I started my ceramics class yesterday and am really excited to get going with it. They are going to teach us lots of techniques for working with different kinds of clay and glazes, as well as on aesthetics and design, so it should be really interesting! Hopefully my works will make it back to the states in one piece. But this art school is crazy! It's this kind-of dilapidated old building in the heart of La Boca (a neighborhood in BA) that is completely covered on the inside with drawings, paintings, sculpture, graffiti, you name it! There are people milling around there all the time just drawing on the walls and working on their artwork. Quite an inspiring place!

This past week, I did lots of exploring around the city. On Saturday, I went with some friends to a town outside of Buenos Aires called Tigre. This is in the heart of the Delta so there are rivers all over the place, and they use them almost as much as the streets to get from one place to another. They had a huge market (una feria) there that had lots to look at. I also went to Palermo (another neighborhood in BA) to their feria and picked up a couple of gifts ;)

Tonight, I am going to an Argentine folk music event with a friend and a group of Argentines, so Castellano, here I come!!

Keep in touch!
Ciao Ciao!!

No comments: